Cambridge News readers have reacted with anger to the sentencing of 12 men found guilty of the brutal attack on Cambridge United fan Simon Dobbin.
Mr Dobbin has been unable to walk or talk since the attack in Southend in March 2015.
The men convicted of violent disorder or conspiracy to commit violent disorder on Friday were sentenced today (July 17).
Eight men were found guilty of violent disorder, alongside Rhys Pullen, 21, of Wickford, who had already admitted the charge.
Three others were found guilty of conspiracy to commit violent disorder.
Their sentences ranged from five years to 16 months.
Ian Young, 41, was found not guilty of conspiracy to commit violent disorder, but guilty of assisting an offender. He will be sentenced next month.
What you had to say
Kelly Mayes said: “Disgusting and pure evil! Every one of those men! They should have got life imprisonment! Simon has a lifetime of being trapped in his own body and lost his life! Our justice system is a disgrace!”
Jonathan Lederman added: “I understand why the CPS charged them with lesser crimes, but it drives me crazy that it means they get ridiculously short sentences. Simon and his wife, family and friends however are sentenced to an indeterminate sentence. Seething I am.”
Meanwhile, Gill Hammond Ballard called the sentencing “unbelievable”.
“That poor man and his family were given a far longer and harder sentence by those cowards,” she said. “Lets at least hope their actions follow them around far longer than just the prison sentence. Evil people,” she said.
Francesca Starr agreed. “Disgusting,” she said. “Most won’t even serve the whole pathetic sentences. No term is long enough for what they have done to this man and his family.”