Ride-hailing company Uber issued an apology in an email to former New York City riders and other big markets on Friday, according to Business Insider, but not everyone is buying it.
It was probably in the company’s best interests to apologize to New York City riders considering the online backlash from when protests broke out John F. Kennedy Airport earlier this year after President Trump introduced a travel ban on seven Muslim-majority countries. Cab drivers and members of the New York Taxi Workers Alliance stopped their services to join the protest. Meanwhile, Uber dropped its surge pricing during the strike. The company’s move prompted the #DeleteUber campaign, in which more than 200,000 users deleted their accounts shortly afterwards.
In the letter sent out Friday, the company admitted it had “fallen short.”
“In expanding so quickly, we failed to prioritize the people that helped get us here,” Uber said in the apology letter. “Ultimately, the measure of our success is the satisfaction of our riders, drivers, and employees — and we realize that we have fallen short.”
The company then went on to talk about the sexual harassment investigation it launched earlier this year and said it was following the recommendations given by former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder and the law firm Covington & Burling.
“There is still more work to be done, but we are confident that we are taking the first steps to becoming the company you deserve,” the company said as it concluded the letter.
Susan Fowler, the former Uber employee who wrote about her sexual harassment experience at the company in February which led the company to hire Holder to conduct an internal investigation, is not satisfied by the apology.
Fowler went on Twitter Saturday to criticize Uber for failing to apologize to…